La Victoria Peninsular
To the east of Alcúdia is La Victoria Headland, which separates Pollença Bay from Alcúdia Bay. Follow signs for (Ermita de) La Victoria along Cami del Mal Pas from the east side of the town. Pass through the Port of Bonaire and continue along the coast road, following Cami Vell de la Victoria. After 3.5 km we find La Victoria Hermitage and Chapel overlooking the sea.
The first hermits sought solitude on the headland towards the end of the late 14th Century and they came and went over the years that followed. The place remained a place of worship and they came to visit a 15th Century statue of the Virgin.
The building we see today dates from 1679 and it is built into the hillside, with the chapel on the lower floor and the accommodation above. Although it has wonderful views of Bay of Pollença, it had to be built in a defensive style to keep the hermits safe from pirates.
The chapel stands at the foot of Talaia d'Alcúdia, a mountain which rises 444 metres (1456 feet) above sea level. There is a steep winding path to the top from where you can see Pollença and Alcúdia Bays and on a clear day the island of Menorca to the northeast. There are the remains of a circular watchtower at the top which was built in 1567 to keep look out for pirates. The two man garrison used flags to warn Alcúdia if pirates were coming and they had to pull their ladder inside if they were in danger. The tower might have been demolished in 1936 but the fantastic views have not changed.
Back to Raiguer (South) Page | Go to Mallorca Days Out home page
www.mallorcadaysout.com is the property of Andrew Rawson and all content is his copyright and no part of it may be reproduced without his permission. Webmaster: Ian Morrison, Apartado 59, Porto Colom 07670, Felanitx, Mallorca.