The name Campanet comes from the Arabic word 'kapanät' which means huts. Following the conquest of the in 1229, the hamlet was renamed 'Capanna' and grouped together with Sa Pobla, Buger and Ullaró. The area was part of the lands given to King Jaime I and he in turn gave it to knights from Barcelona so they could develop the area.
The Church of the Immaculate Conception was built on top of the hill, in what is now known as Tel Square, but what we see today was started in 1717 and the tomb of the founder, Father Miguel Tamorer, is in the church. It took until 1774 to complete.
In 1300 King James II allowed Sa Pobla to hold a market and sold plots of land to new settlers to encourage its growth. At the same time he made Campanet part of the Sa Pobla district and the villagers did not like it. The situation was rectified when Peter of Aragon split the area in 1368 but Campanet did not get its independence until 1823.
For hundreds of years the villagers lived off the land, fighting off droughts, famines, plagues and bandits in the shadow of the Tramuntana Mountains. But in 1945 a new industry hit town when the village became involved in making shoes. In twelve months the village made over 400,000 pairs of shoes for Mallorca, for export to Cuba and for the Spanish Army.
Check out the council webpage for more information www.ajcampanet.net
The Church of San Miguel was also built following the conquest, next to the stream of the same name northeast of the village. It was established in 1248 and has hardly changed for 750 years. The source of the San Miguel stream is on the lands of Gabelli Petit and they are known as the Fonts Ufanes, or the Ufanes Springs. When it begins to rain the stream rushes down Tomir Hill and disappears underground. However, when it rains harder the volume of water creates a violent torrent as the water bubbles up from the underground tunnels. The Ufanes Springs are a fifteen minute walk from San Miguel Church.
The Campanet Caves are one kilometre north of the village and they are signposted from the centre of the village. You can also get to the caves from junction 37 off the Ma-13, on the Alcúdia (east) side of the village. The caves were discovered by a farmer when he was searching for water in the summer of 1945. But when he crawled down the narrow tunnel he found himself inside a underground cave system, and one which was filled with stalactites, stalagmites and a host of other limestone formations. The caves opened three years later and today you can visit 600 metres of the 3,200 metres of tunnels. The two main caves are the Palm cave and the Romantic Cave while a number of footpaths wind their way through the myriad of rock formations.
Back to Raiguer (North) Page | Go to Mallorca Days Out home page
www.mallorcadaysout.com is the property of Andrew Rawson and all content is his copyright and no part of it may be reproduced without his permission. Webmaster: Ian Morrison, Apartado 59, Porto Colom 07670, Felanitx, Mallorca.